Monday, June 14, 2010

Heart of a Servant

It's amazing how when we open ourselves up to what God may want to say to us, we start hearing Him.

My friend, blogger Lisa, sfo of Franciscan Focus shared a link to this post about the Sacred Heart. From this post I quote:

So what then IS the biblical notion of the heart? While not wholly excluding feelings, the “Heart” in the scriptures is the deepest part of us where we “live.” It is where we deliberate, where our memories and thoughts are. It is where we process feelings and events. It is where we ponder what to do and decide. It is where we reflect and consider the direction of our life and most deeply understand who we are and how we are related to God and others. It is the place of our decisions and where we set priorities. In short is it the place where “I am” in the deepest sense. Most moderns locate this in the brain (or mind, a word that the Scriptures often use for a similar understanding) but the ancients located all this in the heart.

As I have started to dip my toe into the shallow end of the deep pool of what it means to have a Servant's Heart, it never occurred to me that I might need to learn more about the heart itself. And for what it's worth, I highly recommend that you read the entire post from which the above quote is taken. I know it is providing me with much food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment